12/1/10

Tracking LEGO Series 3 Collectible Minifigure Rollout

View LEGO Collectible Minifigure Series 3 Rollout in a larger map

So this could be a really cool idea or an unmitigated disaster. I've created a map on Google allowing folks to place 'pins' at the locations where Series 3 of the Collectible Minifigures have been sighted. I've placed the first pin in the map to show the Fred Meyer in Seattle, WA where this first reported batch was found.

You should be able to click through to the main map (via the link above) and add pins yourself, so if you know of a location please insert a pin at that location. Anyone who has the URL should be able to add pins, please let me know if this isn't the case.

To place a pin, go to the map URL. Then type in the location in the search bar to find your store. You will need to make certain the rollout map is checked in the bottom left-hand side of the screen, and choose to edit the map. Click on the placemark button located at the top left-hand side of the map (it looks like a blue circle with a point at the bottom) and put the placemark on the location. You can add a title and description. You can also change the placemark graphic by clicking the icon and choosing a new graphic from the list. I only ask that we keep to using the red pins for the sake of consistency.

Our international friends are more than welcome to contribute - this is not a North America only map.

If this works we will have to consider using this approach for tracking future launches.

Cygnet
Minister of Information
Ugly Duck Command Center
Minifig Nation

14 comments:

  1. That's a really kuhl idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you edit the map? I can't. I'm trying to add a pin in Rochester, NY and I don't see anywhere to edit the map so I can add the pin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok re-read the comments on how to place a pin and the problem is there is no placemark button located at the top left-hand side of the map. I did make sure the Lego rollout map was checked at the bottom left corner of the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Thanks to everyone who've added locations. Added a pic to show what the placemark button looks like. I hope this helps. Prior to this button showing you will have to click the 'edit' button which would be off to the left of this pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suggestion: Can you include location within a store when you announce new retailers?

    Toys R Us has them in the main aisle on a small display with the impulse sets right near the main LEGO aisle. At least in the store I frequent. Is that where others are finding them in TRU?

    Where is Meijer carrying them? Are they in the Toy department? With the LEGO or on an end-cap? Are they considered "impulse" and put at the register lines?

    When (if) Target gets them, will they be in the Holiday department as the Series 2 figures were around Halloween? Or are they set to be included in the regular LEGO aisle? Or will they be at the registers or in the collectible cards/silly bands aisle near the registers?

    If you can encourage your reporters to give this info so you can share it in a blog post, that'd be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @mtwug - I think you just did! I can say that the cases I found at my TRU were in the regular LEGO asile. Given that this is the first time I've found these at TRU, I don't now if this is consistent with past placement.

    I believe your hypothesis on Target is likely to be correct given the placement of Series 2, assuming they get them before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added a pin for the Newark, DE store. The figures were located in the special seasonal/gift area up towards the front, not with regular LEGO.

    No limits per person/family and the BOGO50% worked for them.

    Also, you can call 800-869-7787 and ask a representative to search your zip code for item #577997 to see if there are any Series 3 listed in stock around you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Morgan - Thanks! The 1-800 number should help a lot of people find them in their area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So to edit the map you need to be signed in To google. After I signed in I could then edit the map.

    ReplyDelete
  10. added a location. Great Idea!!

    J. Junker

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't get the map to load. Can someone add the Toys R Us in Visalia, CA? They had two boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I added the location in Visalia, CA. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't know how to post a pin- maybe somebody could help me out, but between yesterday and today, I bought 20 or so from TRU in Gaithersburg, MD. The dots are not easy- I think I have all but Samuri and pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ^I can take care of it for you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete