11/19/10

New LEGO Pharaoh's Quest Magnet Set


I just returned from the LEGO Store to see what new 2011 sets were in. Their selection of Pharaoh's Quest was quite good with around 5 sets available. In addition to the standard sets, I found magnet set #853168 and a new key chain.

The key chain was of the main mummy baddie, the boss man himself, but no other characters were available from what I could see. I believe the key chains standardly retail for $4.99 USD.

The magnet set features Jake Raines with a pistol, an Anubis Warrior with khopesh sword, and a Mummy Warrior with scarab shield. I would provide pics, but I need to wait until I get home. I'll try and update later tonight. $14.99 USD was the retail price, and a nice way to pick up the Anubis warrior on the cheap.

Another nice feature was that the magnet bases were tan and had the new map tile attached to the front. Now I don't know what I would do with three, identical map tiles, but it's a nice change to just the studs showing.

I bought a few of the magnet sets, so expect to see these figs on sale at my BrickLink store once their inventory logs these items in.

More as it becomes available...

9 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that the minifigs in the magnet set are attached to their bases... is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and no. They attach to studs on the base, but come off and appear no different than the figs you get in the sets.

    There's some debate on if the quality of the minifigs is different from what you might get in a set, but I've not seen a noticeable difference in the one's I've bought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! I was surprised to read that one guy had to "rip" the anubis off of the base because they were "glued down". It's bizarre that he got such a different set than you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. There shouldn't be any glue involved. You do have to pull forward on the figs instead of up, however (the attachment is via the holes on the back of the legs). Perhaps he was pulling up? Who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL that would explain it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Darren-Hold up. Your friend was telling the truth. The minifigures are glued to the base and the torsos are glued to the legs. I just opened my package and got off the phone with LEGO. I will have a new post shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's strange that they're starting to glue the minifigs together. Seems like they might be trying to get people to purchase the larger sets now to get the figures instead of just the magnet sets...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So if I pull really hard it will come off?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anon - Possibly, but you are also just as likely to break the figure. I'm betting someone will have a way to remove these figures in the near future. I mean AFOLs are the group that's decoded two sets of Collectible Minifigure codes. Developing a method for dissolving an adhesive without harming a fig can't be too hard... :)

    ReplyDelete